My Top Flooring posts for the year – The Best of 2013
2013 was another great year. Our business is doing great and so is our blog! Looking back at 2013, I wanted to note my top 10 posts. My hardwood flooring posts tend to do the best as I think those are the areas where customer have the most questions. These posts are sorted based on number of clicks.
Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.
1. How long does it take to refinish hardwood floors? This article jumped to the Number 1 spot for 2013. It explains how long it takes to refinish hardwood floors, pending on whether you are using oil based or water based polyurethane. Most people don’t realize the drying time involved and they really should plan ahead! This will really help those that are planning to move to a new home soon.
2. Water vs Oil based polyurethane – what’s the difference? This post consistently generates the most phone calls and emails – both local and out-of-towners. It helps consumers understand the pros and cons between these 2 types of polyurethane. Apparently, many flooring contractors don’t explain this to their customers; they just do what is better/cheaper for them, not what’s best or right for the customer. Read on if you would like to be better educated on this topic.
3. Red Oak Flooring vs White Oak Flooring – What’s the difference? The article explains the 2 different species of oak hardwood and shows side by side pictures.
4. Can you change the color of your hardwood floors? Many don’t realize that you can go from dark to light or vice versa…once it’s sanded, it’s like raw hardwood again! From there, you can test and choose whichever color you prefer.
5. Hardwood flooring that is best for dogs This is the new and improved version vs. my previous pet information, and I just added in a new section.
6. Hardwood Stain color trends This article shows the hot stain colors especially for the Westchester market.
7. What is the difference between laminate and vinyl? This is one where people often get the terms mixed up (as well as the properties of the materials). Many mistakenly think that laminate is waterproof.
8. Kitchen flooring – Is hardwood or tile better? This post explains the pros and cons for hardwood and tile floors for kitchens. Please note that it’s geared more towards people in the Westchester NY area as well as Northeast/Mid Atlantic. There are different preferences and building constructions in warmer climates.
9. Should I refinish my hardwood floors or replace them? Many don’t realize that most hardwood floors can be refinished and will look good as new (or very close to it). This is especially important to know if you are looking to sell your home soon.
10. What types of flooring provide the best ROI (Return on Investment). This also should come in handy for anyone who is thinking of selling their home in the next 2-5 years, as well as those looking to maximize their return over the long term.
If you live in Westchester County NY, I offer color consultations to advise customers on paint colors and stain choices. My designer discount at the paint stores usually more than offsets the cost for the hour consultation. Read more here. Now, I’m offering phone consultations as well.
Complementary products that will prolong the life of your hardwood floors
The Best of 2013 – My Top Flooring posts for the year