When it comes to sanding and refinishing hardwood floors, one of the key questions customers ask me is “how long does it take for the floors to dry?”
Well this of course depends on the type of polyurethane you are using – is it oil based or water based polyurethane? And, this article on “How long does it take to refinish hardwood floors?” should come in handy for an overview of the whole process from start to finish.
For purposes of this post, this timeline is from the time the last coat of polyurethane is applied. Please note that these times are estimates and times can vary, especially based on humidity levels.
Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.
Length of time to dry for oil based polyurethane:
Oil based polyurethane takes longer to dry than water based poly.
- 24 hrs before you can walk on the floors
- Hours 24-48, you can walk on the floors with socks. Avoid shoes and bare feet. And, make sure your pets (who usually have bare feet) do not walk on the floors during this time.
- 48 hrs you can walk on it with shoes
- After 4 days, you can move furniture back on to the floors.
- 2 weeks before dogs should walk on the floor (unless you get Doggie Socks which you can buy on Amazon).
- It takes a full 30 days for the floors to cure, so it’s ideal to wait 30 days before putting area rugs on the surface. If you need to/want to put them on sooner, then 2 weeks is another good benchmark, but 30 days is better.
Length of time to dry for water borne polyurethane:
Water based polyurethane dries faster
- 4-6 hrs before you can walk on the floors
- Hours 6-24, you can walk on the floors with socks. Avoid shoes and bare feet. And, make sure your pets don’t walk on the floors during this interval.
- After 24 hrs you can walk on it with shoes
- After 2 days, you can move furniture back.
- 1 week after dogs can walk on the floor (unless you get Doggie Socks which you can buy on Amazon).
- It takes a full 30 days for the floors to cure, so it’s ideal to wait 30 days before putting area rugs on the surface. If you want to put area rugs back sooner, than 2 weeks is another good benchmark.
How long does it take polyurethane take to cure?
Oil based finishes dry/cure in 2 phases. First, the thinners evaporate and the finish becomes tack free (see above). Then, oxygen begins to combine with the varnish and curing process starts. It’s the curing that makes the finish hard, durable and creates the full adhesion with the floor. This curing process can take up to 4 weeks or so depending on environmental conditions (e.g. humidity) and how thick a film was applied and number of coats of polyurethane. As long as the poly is emitting an odor (even if it’s mild), it’s still curing.
Other useful articles on refinishing hardwood and polyurethane:
- Oil based or water based polyurethane – which is better for hardwood floors?
- How long does it take to refinish hardwood floors?
- Which are the best brands of polyurethane?
- Can you change the color of your hardwood floors?
- Hardwood flooring Stain Color Trends
- Ways to prevent scratches in hardwood floors
- Recommended cleaning products and accessories to maintain floors and reduce scratches.
Do you need a local flooring contractor? Find one here.
For more info, check out my Ebook – Discover the 6 Secrets of Refinishing hardwood floors.
Complementary products that will prolong the life of your hardwood floors